Adoption Application Information
Thank you for your interest in providing a life-long home for one of our cats. The completion of this questionnaire is the first step toward what we hope will be many years of happiness for both you and our rescue cat. Once you have answered all of the questions, one of our volunteers will review your application. Please allow 7 days for the complete processing of your application. We do not respond to incomplete applications.
Some additional aspects of the application process may include:
· Scheduling of a home visit;
· Verification of your current or previous pet’s medical history with your veterinarian;
o We do verify health information with your veterinarian.
· Phone interview;
· We will make two attempts to contact you to let you know you have been approved/disapproved. If we have not heard from you within 24 hours of the last call, we will file your application and put the cat that you expressed interest in back up for adoption.
We do a background check on all applicants and their significant other.
Please remember that completing this application does not guarantee an adoption approval. We want the best match of personality, temperament and home environment for both the adoptive family and the cat. We are looking out for the best interests of our cats. We are the only voice that they have.
If your application is approved, you will be asked to sign a legally binding contract when adopting your cat. The adoption donation is $75 for a single cat and $130 for two cats. This adoption donation helps to off-set the cost of some of the veterinary expenditures such as spay/neuter, rabies vaccination, distemper vaccination, deworming and testing for FELV/FIV. These services at a low cost veterinary clinic would cost you approximately $215.00.
Once the paperwork has been completed and the adoption donation fee is paid, you will be able to take your new companion home. You will need to provide a carrier for transport. We may contact you after the adoption to follow up and ensure your cat is settling in well.
Conditions of adoption:
· You must have valid identification showing your current address and your age.
· You must be 21 years of age or older to adopt from CFA.
· If you are renting, we will need a copy of your lease that shows that you are permitted to have a pet. If you own your home, we do verify home ownership.
· You must be able and willing to spend the time and money necessary to provide training, medical treatment and proper care for a cat.
· All of your current animals MUST be up-to-date on vaccinations.
· For the first 10 days: You must be willing to keep this cat separated and confined to one area, you must not expose your other animals in the home to this cat and you must have the cat vet checked.
· You must be willing to provide a life-long commitment to the care and well being of your cat. If you are not prepared to make a lifetime (cats can live 15 – 20 years) commitment to an adoptive pet, please look elsewhere.
· Chesapeake Feline Association does not allow or disallow adoptions based on an individual’s race, gender, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age or disability.
· Chesapeake Feline Association reserves the right to refuse the adoption of any cat without stating a reason.
· Chesapeake Feline Association, Inc. is not financially or legally responsible for medical or any other expenses incurred by this animal once the adoption papers have been signed.